This object is one of the four hooves of ‘Coal Box’, a German pony befriended by bandsmen of the 2nd Battalion, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (2 KRRC), during the First World War. The hoof, which is on display in the Museum, is silver plated and engraved with the words ‘Coal Box 1914-1920’.
This is the only example of a Royal Geographical Society (RGS) Founder’s Gold Medal owned by and on display in the Museum. It was awarded to Lieutenant Boyd Alexander of The Rifle Brigade in 1908 “for his three years’ journey across Africa from the Niger to the Nile” between 1904 and 1907.
A seasonal reminder that Christmas has always been of special significance for troops on operations overseas and an opportunity for those at home to show their appreciation and remind the troops with cards and ‘goodies’ that they are not forgotten.
This object is one of 19 exquisite watercolours in the Museum’s collection painted by Lieutenant the Hon. H.H. Clifford of The Rifle Brigade, who was awarded a Victoria Cross for his gallantry during the Crimean War (1854-6). This particular watercolour is of a Rifleman in The Rifle Brigade looking as he no doubt looked most…
This rather unusual object for a military museum is a coal-fired 0-6-0 tank engine (locomotive). It was built by Mr Tom Moore of Stradbroke in Suffolk and named by him Frank Moore in memory of his eldest brother, 6847925 Rifleman Frank Moore.