The Museum Chairman and Curator visited the Ministry of Defence on 15 October to receive a MOD Sanctuary Runners-Up Award for the best Heritage Project in 2015. This is the first time in the history of these awards dating back to 1991 that a military museum has received a Heritage Award.
The ‘With the Rifles to Waterloo’ temporary exhibition marking the bicentenary of the battle ended at the end of September. A small number of loan items are being returned and the exhibition is now permanent. Visitors before and after 30 September will barely notice the difference. All the key features remain, including the much-admired Waterloo…
The Museum has recently purchased for £400 at auction the India Medal 1895-1902 with clasp ‘Relief of Chitral 1895’ awarded to Honorary Lieutenant and Quartermaster J. W. Dwane of The King’s Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC).
On 10 September 2015 a group of 17 Friends of the Museum, together with eleven Friends from Hampshire Archives Trust, visited Stratfield Saye House, the home of the Dukes of Wellington since it was bought by the Nation for the first Duke in 1817.
A number of people have been asking whether visitor numbers have increased since the ‘With the Rifles to Waterloo’ exhibition, marking the Bicentenary of the battle on 18 June 1815, was opened by the Duke of Wellington on 25 March 2015. The good news is that they have!
After three years of preparation and planning, the Museum’s special Battle of Waterloo Bicentenary Exhibition was opened by His Grace the Duke of Wellington on 25 March. The exhibition will remain open seven days a week (except Good Friday) until 30 September.